Thursday, May 6, 2021

Sheepshead and McDonald ski for time

Moments like this are why we backcountry ski.

2023 update:  I now kind of think that this route was not complete.  I think that the East ridge run should be extended down to the tarn at about 8,300 feet, providing a natural, complete end point to the run.  A complete descent is more aesthetic than cutting the run short, and I think that this is merited since the East ridge of Sheepshead is a quality objective in its own right.  I guess the only way to rectify this is to go back and try again!

One of the first post-foot recovery outings I undertook was to go for a fast time on the Sheepshead/McDonald peak loop in the Missions.  I hadn't been skiing a lot, but had enough of a fitness base from biking that I felt reasonably prepared.  I think that the link up is one of the finest in the Missions, with excellent skiing, iconic peaks, and enough bushwacking and tricky routefinding in the heart of the Grizzly conservation zone to count as a legitimate Mission adventure.  It was forecast to be a hot day, so I timed the outing to hit the skiing on the firm side of corn o'clock, and started walking casually from a parking spot just above the canal at 7 am.  

At the upper trailhead, I took a nice break, switched into ski boots, set the clock, and started off.  I made pretty decent time to the base of the peak, and climbed efficiently to about 8,500 feet where the upper Northwest ridge becomes cliffy.  Unfortunately, the light overnight refreeze wasn't enough to be supportable, and I spent more time crotch deep in snow than I was hoping for as I ground out the last thousand vertical feet to the summit.  It did not help that I slightly botched the route and had to climb a tricky little mixed step.  It was OK though, I pushed as hard as reasonable while still moving with careful intention.  The East ridge and Southeast face skied perfectly.  

Feeling less than fast on the summit of Sheepshead...

...but definitely excited to ski and climb McDonald.

After a quick transition, I set off for the summit of McDonald, psyched for a hard push.   As it turns out, I didn't have as much gas as I had hoped for, so I slammed a few more calories and gave it all I had.  The South face was also excellent skiing.  A little icy, but not bad, and fast.  Since it was obvious that my time was going to be pretty soft, I skied at a reasonable speed, taking enough time to enjoy the day.  The descent to the lake went quickly, and the lakes were well frozen, so I made good time skating across them.  The exit trail was a bit of a disaster.  For starters, I didn't really find it right away and lost a few minutes fighting through thick brush.  The majority of the trail also had deep, punchy snow and a lot of downfall.  I moved through it as quickly as possible, but it was not fast.  Soon enough, I was fast hiking up the last little climb, yelling for bears.  And a few minutes later I was back to the trailhead.  It was pretty cool to be out by early afternoon, and at the trailhead, I took a nice long food/water/approach shoe break before walking casually out to the car.  I'm excited to do this outing again for time (I think that sub-4:30 is possible), and of course again many times at a more casual pace for enjoyment.

At the Ashley/Post creek divide, one of the coolest places anywhere.

Appreciating fast travel across well frozen Ashley lakes.

Route:  From upper trailhead, up Southwest ridge of Sheepshead.  Ski the East ridge and Northeast face to where the slope flattens out, about 200 vertical feet above the tarn (the length of this run is debatable.  Up Northwest face of McDonald.  Down South face and out to Ashley lakes.  Out Ashley lakes trail to trailhead.  I like the start/end point at the upper trailhead.  Even though it is a pretty crazy trailhead to drive too, it is a logical start/end point, and allows for a nice warmup if one chooses to park lower in the valley.

Splits for future reference:  First big flat ~50 minutes.  Sheepshead summit:  2.50.  McDonald summit: 3:30.  Leave lower Ashley lake:  4.05.  Trailhead 4:52.  Yes, the trail out was slow.

Equipment of note:  Crampons, whippet, bear spray, 0.5L water and about 1,000 calories.  Used everything except all of the bear spray and a few of the calories.  No ice axe, puffy coat, or approach shoes.  Nothing extra, but enough to deal with steep snow and ice, and to have a reasonable safety margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment