Sunday, June 21, 2020

Crescent to Pyramid for time

Up Crescent.
I think that the Crescent to Pyramid ski traverse in the Swans is one of the all time classic Missoula ski outings.  Aside from the major downside that winter access is poor without a sled, it is just awesome.  Logical line, aesthetic mountains, great ski runs, reliable snow, fairly safe avalanche conditions, and long enough to feel like an accomplishment.  As a speed test, it is also a good challenge because the best ski runs are the fastest way complete the link up (I think).  I gave it a go for time in early May.  The snow was so firm that I ended up booting almost all of the climbs with the exception of the end of the Crescent and the first half of the Pyramid.  I ended up seeing Ned Gall on Crescent, and probably lost two or three minutes chatting with him.  The skiing was incredible, with good to perfect corn on every run.  This is a solid time for me.  I wasn't feeling terribly fit, and I could have pushed harder, particularly on the first climb, but it would be hard to order up better conditions.
At the end of the short West Marshall summit plateau.
Closing in on Pyramid. Excited for a final corn run on the Southwest face.
For gear, I used my go-to Dynafit Nanga Parbat/PDG/race pole/BD cirque 30L set up and consumed about 150 cal/hour of Tailwind energy drink and a bar.  My final time was 4 hours, 5 minutes.

Route: Start and end at the Crescent lake trailhead.  Summit Crescent, West Marshall, and Pyramid.  I skied the Southwest aspect of each peak with as many short cuts as I can think of.

Splits for future reference:  Start trail traverse: 50; Crescent summit: 1.50; West Marshall: 2.35; Pyramid: 3.40


2 comments:

  1. Dang Brian! Nice push! What is that, almost 8K of climbing in that time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than that. A touch over 6. Hence my contention that it is a very manageable tour.

    ReplyDelete