Monday, February 24, 2020

Presidential Gully for time

Great conditions in the upper tree lanes of the Presidential gully
I chased the first signs of receding instability and made an attempt on the Presidential gully after work in mid-February.  Despite abundant and continuous snowfall, surface stability indicators, lack of feedback on deep instability, and a reasonably stable pit had me confident enough to ski the gully in incredible powder conditions.  To my shock and awe, coverage was really, really good, and the run was as fun as I have ever seen it.  So fun that I had no choice but to returned to do it for time on Valentine's day.  I lucked out and had a track to follow, which made things a lot quicker.  I went pretty darn hard, but never really went to the well.

Interestingly, I made great time in the first half and slowed in the second.  I attribute much of that to the very fast skin track right from the car (as opposed to walking and transitioning).  I also took a few photos on the ski run, and took it fairly casually on the exit, so there is time for improvement.  Still, I feel good about my current fitness, and good about my time on this rare treat of a ski line.  Interestingly, the circuit only took three minutes more than my fastest (still soft) time on a basic up and down Little Saint Joe.

Great skiing!
Splits for future reference: First road crossing: 18; trailhead: 48; upper saddle 1.33; top out 1.58; Trail: 2.15ish; Car: 2.46

I only climbed to the top of the gully and did not go to the summit.  I do not think that summiting Little Saint Joe is necessary since the peak is disconnected from the ski line, and since one of the direct appeals of skiing the Presidental is that one doesn't have to make the often weather hammered trek across the summit plateau to the exact summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment