Saturday, November 2, 2019

Crescent - Pyramid quick ramble

Crescent peak.
I squeezed the Crescent to Pyramid traverse in the Swans between day care drop off and pick up on a perfect early fall day.  Early season snow was lingering in the highest peaks, but the Swans were just low enough to be snow free, which, coupled with crisp fall temperatures, made for quick and delightful conditions.  After a mad drive to the trailhead, I took the Crescent lake trail to the first lake and got things rolling by climbing the South face of Crescent.  I made reasonable time descending the ascent route, running short sections of scree in between slower sections.  I tried following the trail above the first lake most of the way up to the divide before making a short traversing climb to the base of the Northeast ridge of West Marshall.  The Northeast ridge is pretty short, and it went quickly.
On Crescent, looking to Marshall and Pyramid.  Gloomy skies.
Enjoyable climbing to Marshall.
Pyramid and Devil's basin from Marshall.
After traversing Marshall's summit ridge, I tried descending as far as I could down the South ridge, but it ended up cliffing out, and I had to do some shenanigans to get off the peak.  Nothing too bad, but certainly not the ideal route.  Eventually I made it to the intermittent climber's trail in Devil's basin, which I took for a few minutes before making the logical ledge traverse onto the North ridge of Pyramid peak.  From the ridge, it was a quick hike to the summit.  After a somewhat gloomy morning, the sun came out, setting the stage for a mellow egress back to the car.  The return was much quicker than expected.  I descended the open Southwest face to the trail, then took the horse outfitter trail back to the road, popping out just a few hundred yards from the car.

I still think that this outing is a gem in both winter and summer.  It takes a logical route over the three iconic Seeley Lake peaks.  It is light on adversity, with trails to get above any bushwacking, and technically easy yet engaging routefinding all along the way.  It would be fun to try to do this outing fast.  I think sub-4 is realistic.  6,000 vertical feet, done in 4 hours, 40 minutes.  By faint memory splits were:  Trail flattens out before traversing to the lake, 1 hour; Crescent, 2.15; Marshall 3.25; Pyramid 3:35; car: 4.40
What I think is the most expedient route, not including the trail.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment