Monday, August 6, 2012

Bridger ridge run (backwards)

The Bridger ridge run is a daunting undertaking for an underskilled runner such as myself.  The high quality, 18ish mile run follows the Bridgers from the highest peak to the southern terminus of the range.  I completed the run for the first time last fall in 6.30ish, during which I battled cramps and got way off route on the final climb to Sacajawea.  I ran the course for the second time in late July, once again backwards to minimize the downhill pounding of the normal direction.  Starting at 6am helped reduce the hotness, but I still sweated a lot and was forced to stop a couple dozen times to stretch and prevent cramping.  I finished the run in 5.51, which is pretty fast for me, but not for a fast runner.  I am excited to keep repeating the run, since I think there is still room for a substantial cut in time at my current fitness level.  A big thanks to my dad for running the car shuttle and bailing me out with water on the final climb to Sacajawea.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun...wish the timing would have worked out better to join you. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude! I was thinking about the M to Sacajawea, S to N route, a mere 5 seconds before opening/ reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should do it! Bring all your own water, and beware of heat.

    ReplyDelete