Thursday, January 19, 2012

Skiing Bald Hill

Rising over 2,000 vertical feet above the Clark Fork River and I-90, Bald Hill is one of the icons of Mineral County.  I have dreamed of arcing turns down it's open southern flank it ever since moving to Superior.  The snowstorm this past week has produced about as much snow as I've ever seen in town, so I ducked out of work an hour early, grabbed the rock skis, and gave 'er a go.  


I accessed the hill from just inside the National Forest boundary, and punched a skin track up the southwest flank.  Snow at the car was a little thin, but I was supremely confident that it would get deeper with elevation.  Much to my dismay, the snow didn't pick up, and the underlying terrain became rockier.  The ensuing run was not the powder epic I had hoped for, and the rock skis were put to good use.  Lack of snow aside, I made turns from top to bottom for what is likely the first ski descent of the southwest face of Bald Hill.
Thin snow, but still optimistic at the toe of Bald Hill.
Looking down Bald Hill to the Clark Fork River and I-90.

No comments:

Post a Comment